Monday, February 4, 2008

Xbox Originals for $15.00? Bah!


Backwards compatibility for a console is a cool thing and the fact that my 360 can play almost any original Xbox title is great. But as far as the three systems go, just the idea of being able to play virtually every Nintendo, Sega, N64, Neo Geo, TG-16 and SNES game throughout recorded time makes me drool like an alien about to chomp Ripley. That’s why I think it goes without saying that Nintendo wins the downloadable back catalog competition without even having to put up a fight.

With Xbox Live’s fall update, original Xbox games started making their way onto the 360 for download. Sounds great right? Not for what Microsoft is charging for them on XBL, $15.00 per title is way north of fair. You can go into most any major electronics store and find many of the titles you’d want to play for $9.99 new. You can find ‘em on eBay for even less. The question is this: Why would I pay $15.00 for a download that takes up more than a gig of space on my console’s hard drive when I can buy the game for 10 bucks or less and leave that hard drive space for other uses. Most of the Wii Virtual Console games go for between five and ten bucks. That essentially means that I can get Super Mario Bros. 3 for five to ten on the VC but I’ll spend $15.00 for Fusion Frenzy on the 360? That makes no sense to me. I think a varying price model like the Virtual Console’s makes sense. On principle alone I can’t buy any of the Xbox Originals. I would just feel like I downloaded an idiot bomb into my brain. If I want to play Halo or Burnout 3 I’ll get them online or in a store. Hopefully this foolish price scheme is just a “let’s take advantage of the first in line” ploy and is only a temporary misstep by Microsoft.

c608186fa0c093d3148295812c36161e

No comments: